The word Sage, and its use for sage smudging is packed with intuitive meaning. In the sense of smudging of course we refer to the salvia plant, or sage plant, and the most often used white sage. The plant gender salvia is actually the mint family, and we all know that many of its species are aromatic with a pleasant taste used often in cooking.
Salvia officinalis is a common form of sage found in Europe. It is thought that the Romans introduced Europe to this medicinal plant. Salvia officinalis or common sage was known in the middle ages and is one of the ingredients of a blend of healing herbs called “Thieves”, a concoction thought to effectively protect against the plague.
Another variety used for sage smudging is Salvia apiana, or White Sage. The word Salvia comes from the latin root salvare, which means “to heal”, giving greater meaning to the idea of sage as a medicinal plant. Sage is used for its cleansing or clearing properties, to ward off evil spirits and negativity.
The word sage is also used in the sense of a person’s character. A sage is one of great wisdom, and pristine judgement. This definition originated in the 13th century, with roots such as sapidus or “wise” as well as “tasteful”, and sapere, to “know”.
Sage Essential Oils
The essential oils found in sage are the most promising and potent part of the plant, containing the components cineole, borneol, and thujone. What does that mean? The essences found in white sage have been used throughout history for its strong healing properties, and today sage is known to act as an antifungal, antibiotic, astringent, and antispasmodic, with many other useful properties.
Sage Smudging Wands and Smokeless Smudging Kits are available with instructions and tools for energy healing, clearing ceremonies, and personal use. White sage smudging is commonly used to drive out negative thoughts and bad spirits, and setting the energy for ceremony or blessings.
Disclaimer: Whether you are using an essential oil or the smoke derived by smudging care should always be taken to assure that you and those around you do not have chemical sensitivities to sage. It is the responsibility of the individual to properly research in the use of any essential oil or plant product.
News, Updates, Topics
- Spellbound by the willow wands that hold promise of great return | Rob Bagchi Sports News
- Healing Crystals And Chakra Balancing | Yoga and Meditation
- Highly Effective Chakra Cleansing Practices | Younger In Seconds
- Uberi.com » Margaritaville DM0500 Bahamas 36-Ounce Frozen-Concoction Maker for $159.99 Shipped – Your daily source of the best deals!
- Ghost sightings highest in 25 years
- Natural Healing Herbs « Natural Living Alliance
- Hoosierhillsinc – Landscape Designer » Blog Archive » The Good News
- hiltonrx » Some Facts About Antispasmodic Drugs | Health Reform
- White Sage Smudge Stick Two Pack, 5″ – 6″ Review. « tyra1545565